NEW! Southdale Project's new name! Noor Gardens, Home is where the heart is!
The Southdale Project Journey
Phase 1: Community Centre Features
Top view designs of the project
"Muslim Auction & Comedy Night", January 2016
Celebrated comedian/actor/director Omar Regan headlined the evening with his halal jokes and family-friendly routine to an audience of 800+.Â The auction portion (silent and public) raisedÂ over $120,000 for the project and $2500 in monthly Founder's Campaign donations!
The following is a brief historical timeline of the progress and major milestones at the Southdale Project thus far:
- Acquisition of land in a new and significant planned expansion development area of London.
- Site plan consultation completed and submitted to Development Services, City of London.Â
- Zoning by-law amendment allowing for a place of worship within a commercial recreationalÂ establishment passed with no issues.
- Posted initial Request for Proposals (RFP) and received four comprehensive quotes fromÂ architectural/engineering consultants, but with varying level of detail, wide pricing range.
- Southdale Project Advisory Committee restructured into sub-committees, including PlanningÂ and Construction Committee.
- Decided to repost for design RFP with more detail to solicit more precise quotes.Â
- Committee thoroughly reviewed community feedback from town hall sessions andÂ questionnaires, and consulted with community leaders to ensure due consideration wasÂ given to prioritizing functional spaces and features e.g. day care.
- Committee then proceeded to determine optimal sizes and capacities for each of the areasÂ that were deemed a priority as these would affect the footprint of the building.
- Initial concept pencil sketches presented at MAC Chapter Weekend Retreat.
- Project scope approved in principle by Southdale Lead Committee and MAC ChapterÂ Executive.Â
- Secured approval from Chapter to proceed with RFP process.Â
- Submitted comprehensive project information package to Institutions Department and MACÂ National executive.
- Planning committee drafted RFP (request for proposals) for the design.Â
- Final RFP draft submitted to Southdale Lead Committee and Chapter Executive forÂ approval.
- RFP sent out to prominent and recommended consultants with submission deadline ofÂ December 19, 2014.
- Received five proposals in response to RFP for Southdale Project design phase.
- Shortlisted three consultants for interviews based on price.Â
- Interviewed consultants and evaluated each proposal based on criteria set out in RFP.Â
- Final consultant selection recommendations presented to joint meeting of SLC and ChapterÂ Executive.
- ROA submitted draft contract and proposed timeline for review and signing.
- Signed design contract with ROA Studio.
- Anticipate completion of initial architectural drawings.